Monday, October 28, 2013

Week 4: Family Clinic

To be completely honest, this week was pretty slow. I was in a family clinic in a neighborhood called Cochapamba with Dra. Sancho. Its exactly like any family clinic in the states. I saw a lot of kids with colds, rashes and parasites. The few unique cases from the week were a boy who broke his knee riding his bike, a grandpa who voluntarily decided to stop talking (she sent him for a psych consult) and a baby with a heart murmur.

Dra. Sancho was very nice and took the time to explain each patient's case to me. She is also an incredibly patient woman. They try to have a waiting room system but the patients grow anxious and begin cutting each other in line. They even would knock on Dra. Sancho's door while she was with another patient to ask to be seen sooner. One mother actually burst into the office to tell Dra. Sancho her daughter needed immediate attention but it turned out to be nothing more than her daughter was having menstruation cramps.

Dra. Sancho had a meeting  Thursday and Friday so I was sent back to the adolescent clinic for those two days. I saw pretty much everything I have already seen, but it was nice to go back after a few more weeks of Spanish under my belt and see how much more I understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment